Home     About     Follow

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Mother May I?

Guys... I just want to clarify that this is a safe zone. 
No judgements. 
Got it? 
Ok awesome!
Now
Look
at 
THIS!

{yupppp, I made that.}

When I saw this on Pinterest I was like yes! And I knew they would be in my near future!

So I decided to make these bad boys to hand out to the girls i visit teach on Valentines Day {because well... come on it's perfect!} but I'm a busy person! So I'm a few weeks late but I think everyone is okay with that! 
{Right?! ...just look at 'em}

And because Im awesome Im going to show you how to get these hot pieces of smack into your kitchen!

If you read my Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me post you know that Im very particular about my sugar cookies. They are by far my favorite but I don't like any ol' cookie! But about a year ago I found the recipe of my dreams and have stuck to it! {because well, it's the best thing that ever happened to me!} 
This time {reluctantly} I decided to go with a different recipe because I needed something that doesn't rise or spread and will keep their shape. So I found an amazing recipe {recipe below} and read about all the things that will help the cookies keep their shape while baking... but I'm retarded so it didn't work.. so I used the cookie cutter to recut them back to their original shape to get that clean edge back.
{They didn't spread a whole lot, but again I was going for that clean edge! Hopefully with more practice I'll get it right!}


First you have to trace your cutter and sketch out your man on a piece of paper. Then with food safe markers draw a basic outline of you sketch on each of your cookies. {P.S. if you're not willing to devote a day to these guys then get out!}

After you got them all drawn out whip up some royal icing into a 20 second consistency {recipe below} and start filling your abs! Do about two abs at a time {two that are not touching} I would say don't even do the abs that are diagonal from each other {wish someone would have told me that!} Do two sections and move to the next cookie.

If needed, use a toothpick to smooth it out or push the icing closer to the edges.

Once you have done two abs on all the cookies the icing on the first one you did should be set enough to start your second set of abs!
{see how my two abs are touching in the center, yeah don't do that! it will look better if they are all separate so again don't do diagonal abs at one time!}

Once everything is done {it probably would be best if you let them set over night} go ahead and give them some nipples and bellybuttons, and then a nice little bow tie to tie it all together! For the bow just do the two triangles and leave a space in the middle, let them dry and then add the center.
{My mom got a huge laugh out of the nipples, she loved them}

After a long days work you'll have these babies all perfect and lined up in your kitchen! {Am I wrong or is this every girls dream??}

{As I was laying them out Glory Glory Hallelujah was stuck in my head, hahahaa}

I wrapped them up and gave them out as a "late" Valentines Day gift!

Here are my Recipes! 

Sweetopia's Sugar Cookie Recipe 

{These cookies are so good and they stay soft! Perfect if you plan on icing or frosting them because they aren't super sweet like my Paradise Bakery Sugar Cookies}
Ingredients

  • 2  1/2 cups unsalted butter {room temperature}
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 tsp vanilla
  • 5 cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
Directions 
  1. Cream the butter and sugar with an eletric mixer on low to medium speed {use paddle attachment} for about one minute. Scrape and mix a few seconds more.
  2. Add eggs slowly and mix, scrape and mix again.
  3. Add vanilla and stir briefly.
  4. Sift your dry ingredients together {Flour and salt}
  5. Add flour mixture to the bowl. Cover bowl with a towel and mix on low for 30 seconds. When the dough clumps around the paddle it's ready. Do not over mix.
  6. Roll the dough out between 2 large pieces of parchment paper and let it sit in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour.
  7. Roll out the dough further if you need to, and cut out cookie shapes. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. re-roll scraps and repeat.
  8. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
  9. Put cut dough in fridge for 10 minutes to an hour.
  10. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until edges are golden.
  11. let them cool at room temperature and decorate!
Here is a link to the icing recipe, she explains it 100% better than me!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a little upset I didn't get one of these...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were definitely on the list for a bag but I forgot to mention Emily's dog ate all of them before I got a chance to give then out!

      Delete