Home     About     Follow

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Easy-Smeasy!

First shout out goes to my momma! It was her birthday on the 21st! {The big five-oh!} So of course I had to make something fabulous! And this cake just screamed my mom! I bet she loves that I'm announcing her big five-oh ordeal! But hey! A girls got to share the story behind the cake!
{Me and my wonderful mother}

Second shout out goes to my new apartment! And my new lovely kitchen that I got to bake in for the first time! Seriously love that kitchen! It's very spacious for an apartment! And it's got a huge window, and I love love love big open windows!
{Yayyy for baking in my new kitchen! And yayy for new cake pans!}

And my third shout out goes toooooo... Pinterest! ...without you.. I would be lost.

Okok.. So back to the cake part! So a friend pinned this gorgeous frosting technique a few weeks ago and I instantly loved it because the description was 'super simple frosting technique' and it was BEAUTIFUL! What wasn't to love?!

Here is a picture I stole from the blog that had the cake on it..
{I won't bother putting the blog link on here because the blog was in a different language! Good thing I don't need instructions, :)I just learn by what I see}

Ok.. so don't get too excited.. because my cake did not look that^^ fabulous! I think it would have been better if I used a denser frosting. I made cream cheese frosting {recipe at the bottom} because it is my mother's favorite! It was my first time! And it was a total hit with the family!
{I added a little extra sugar because I knew it needed to be thicker for what I was doing.. and also because hey whyyy not!? }

So spread all that good stuff all over your cakes

Then with a round tip {I think I used a 10 or 11.. I don't remember! But really it's up to you how big you want the circles to be} make little droplets that look just like Hershey’s Kisses!
 {You can only do one row at a time!}

Then flatten each 'kiss' with the back of a spoon

Like thisss!
{It really is a beautiful design!}

I will warn you.. Once you get all the way back around it gets a little tricky to connect the two ends! My advice.. make sure that part is the back of the cake..

So the top is basically the same thing, except just do one row at a time. Starting with the outside edge: kiss, flatten, kiss, flatten.. and just keep going! So its kind of like a spiral design
{Sorry this is my only picture of the top!}

And that's it! Easy-smeasy!! But like everything I do.. time consuming!
{Even used a cake mix for the cake to make it extra smeasy! And with that delicious  homemade frosting.. Nobody can ever tell!!} 

But it was for my mom! So the time consuming part was worth it! <3
{I don't think she knew I was taking a picture.. haha despite that^^ face.. She was veryyyyyy happy with it!}



{Cream Cheese Frosting For Noobs!!}

     Yield: Makes about 2 cups

Ingredients

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions

Place cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl. Using a rubber spatula, soften cream cheese. Gradually add butter, and continue beating until smooth and well blended. Sift in confectioners' sugar, and continue beating until smooth. Add vanilla, and stir to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment